Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Refused

I am really tired and I don't think I will be able to write a long entry. Let me get to the good stuff:

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2009/12/2009123061947605152.html
http://aliabunimah.posterous.com/

Only two buses, with a list of conditions and requirements, were allowed to head to Gaza -oh, how gracious you can be Ms. Suzanne Mubarak. Seeing as there were 1400 people that were going to march in Gaza, this was seen as a failure and many delegates were present at the bus loop to protest the departure of even 100 of our delegates. In conclusion, only one bus (50 people) left with a truck full of aid. It was a hectic scene. Many marchers had turned against Code Pink and their delegations - for a few moments the Egyptian Government had succeeded and divided our group.

After this early morning protest, Salah and I headed for the French Embassy to show solidarity with the French citizens who have camped out for more than 3 days on a sidewalk. Surrounded by 300 guards, we interviewed a few activists and discussed the next collective move. Meanwhile, Abdu was singlehandedly making his way through every Shaikh and Imam at Al-Azhar, trying to gain support for our march . He was stopped short when 3 Egyptian officers physically barred him from meeting with Muhammad Tantawy, the Grand Imam and Grand Shaikh at the famous University (I am sure a future post will detail his adventure).

We wrapped up the day by planning for tomorrow -probably the biggest day of action so far. Although I cannot say too much, it is certain that tomorrow our demands to break the siege will be heard across the world.

In peace and solidarity. TC

1 comment:

  1. Merci de nous tenir au courant des évènements. Que dieu vous protège.

    ReplyDelete