Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Salamat

It's always difficult saying goodbye. Especially after eating a full plate of Maklouba and being serenated by the soft sounds of the 'oud (which by the way is still playing as I write this). It's 10:38 PM and in less than 12 hours I should be on a bus to Eilat, leaving for the border with Jordan.

As I leave Nablus and Palestine, I think of many faces and many stories. The welcoming staff at Project Hope that fed me when I was hungry, laughed with me when it probably wasn't appropriate, and taught me the Palestinian Arabic I will try to remember. As I leave, I think of the kid on the ledge in Akka, I think of the make-shift checkpoint as I walked the hundreds of stairs to the top of Nablus, I think of Nawal and Leila living in the pressure cooker that is Khalil and the inspirational director of the Jenin Cultural Centre. I also think of people who graced me with their stories, their uncontrollable laughter, and their tears.

To Palestine, to my friends, and my new family, your pain is my pain and your strength is my strength. Your love and happiness will continue to fuel my innate desire to return here -to return home. I leave a part of myself with you, just as you have left a big part of yourselves in me.

With love and kindness, thank you for everything. Tarik

1 comment:

  1. Il n'est jamais facile de se dire au revoir lorsque tu as eu expérience aussi formidable que celle la. Je n'ai qu'un merci, de votre gentillesse et de cette chaleur que vous lui avait apporter.

    ReplyDelete