Thursday, January 21, 2010

Nablus Municipality -funded in part by...

Nablus was about a two hour ride from Jerusalem. The ride was smooth, there were two checkpoints but the buses are cleared through without stopping. Hidden between two ridges the city of Nablus houses the largest population centre in the West Bank and also its biggest refugee camp (Balata). It is a breath-taking town. Its people are known to be a little more conservative than the typical West Banker. As a result, it is renown toas the epicentre of both the first and second intifadas.

I took a cab directly to the Project Hope Office where I was welcomed by Hakim, the director of the project. The aim of the organization is to provide worthwhile distractions for Palestinian living under strenuous conditions. I sleep right across the street from the office, in the communal apartments. I have my own room and it looks like I will be alone here for a few weeks as we wait for the next batch of foreign volunteers. Yesterday, I accompanied Safa, our translator, and Dalila, a French volunteer, to Balata Refugee Camp. We had a short theatre activity with some of the local girls. They are really shy girls and can't usually control their big smiles when they talk to you.

The city of Nablus is unique in many ways. It is seemingly a city funded by the EU. Next to project hope is the Centre Culturel Francais, which also acts as the Consulate of France. City Hall was built by Germans and a lot of the refugee community centres were donated by the EU. Project Hope receives a considerable amount of funding from a few francophone countries in Europe. A local clown school is partnered with a Swedish and German program in Europe. Beside those signs indicating the country that financed the building, we see the faces of martyrs. Most recently, three Palestinian men were killed by Israelis in reprisal for the murder of a settler in a nearby settlement. Their faces can be seen all over town - at the vegetables stands in the Old City, at the taxi station in the New City, and everywhere in between.

I am terribly excited about this experience. Although I may be staying a little shorter than originally anticipated, I know I am going to treasure my time here.

I had my first class today, a group of very rambunxious young boys. Noor looks like he has learning problems and makes up for it by being extra loud and disturbing. I'll see if I can control him a little next week. I think I am going to plan a few games... you know, just to keep them interested in talking in French.

Stay Tuned. (Sorry about the lack of pictures this past week. It's not for a lack of taking them. Internet here is super slow and all of the computers have no processing power. I'll try again tonight!)

No comments:

Post a Comment